True Community Leaders Made an Incredible Difference for the Parents and Students of Rowland Heights


A story about how Mr. Cary Chen, Vice President of Board of Education at Rowland Unified School District and Mr. John Hsu, President of Rowland Heights Chinese Association and CEO of STC Management reached out to help a decades old dilemma for many Rowland Heights residents.


By
One Chu


It all started in October of 2011, when I decided enough is enough.  I am referring to having enough nightmares of the awful daily traffic jam at Alvarado Intermediate School on Desire Avenue during the morning rush hour and afternoon dismissal hour. 

I started asking around, and all I got was something like this: “Oh, the problem has been notorious amongst students and parents of Alvarado for decades, but nobody could do anything about it.”  As a parent of a student of Alvarado, I have been tolerating this dreadful situation for nearly two years.  I suddenly realized I must do something about it, or the problem will not simply disappear on its own.

After conducting careful studies and on-site evaluations, I came to a conclusion that by simply enforcing a parking restriction from 7:30 AM ~ 8:30 AM and 2:30 PM ~ 3:30 PM along 2 commercial plazas on Desire Ave will bring an extremely effective aid to ease the horrible traffic jam during morning and afternoon rush hours.  By imposing non-parking zone in the said curbside area, vehicles making right turns (East bound on Colima Road) after dropping off and picking up students will not be blocked by vehicles parked by the curbside of plazas, and will be able to flow smoothly and ease the traffic load on Desire Avenue making left (West) turn onto Colima Road.

Once the remedy of the problem is identified, I approached Mr. Dickie Simmons, the Field Deputy of Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe’s office.  Dickie kindly and aggressively hooked me up with Los Angeles County’s Department of Public Works, but the result of DPW’s field study was not encouraging.  The whole section of Desire Avenue south of Colima Road is private; therefore, it is out of DPW’s hands. 

Desperate, but not out of hope; I reached out to Mr. Cary Chen in February 2012 through Rowland Heights Chinese Association.  Coincidentally, Rowland Heights Chinese Association had just elected Mr. John Hsu, a well-known local business leader, philanthropist, and the CEO of STC Management as the President of the association.  I suddenly remembered the 2 commercial shopping plazas are managed by STC Management.  And I have actually provided services to STC Management as a waste and recycling consultant back in 2008.  Cary and I immediately approached John and explained everything in details.  Without hesitation, John was first shocked by the problem that parents and students of Alvarado have been going through daily for decades, and then John instantaneously agreed to help with all his resources.  John and Cary continued to work with Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department, and on May 2, 2012, the No Parking signs were installed.  I wish you could see the smiles on the faces of parents and students when they drive by Desire Avenue nowadays. 

I remember Mr. John Hsu once stated in a Rowland Heights Chinese Association meeting that his goal as the leader of the association is to establish the association as a role model for our community in order to unite people of the community and help people of the community to eventually create a harmonious community with prosperity to further our higher goals of a best quality of education, business environment, and every resident’s daily life.   Well, my views, John and Cary are already true leaders and role models in the community of Rowland Heights.  All we residents need to do is simply stand by our leaders to reach the goals of bettering our community. 

Finally, I am really glad that I am able to share my story with residents of Rowland Heights.  And I would like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to join us at Rowland Heights Chinese Association for the goal of taking care of each other.  

Comments